Thursday, November 7, 2013

Mandrake Roots

"Magic is, essentially, the higher understanding of nature."


So thus begins the first entry in my catalogue of magical creatures. The very first landmark on the map is a dusky grove of mandrakes I discovered just inland from the beach. I've made a mark on the map so I can return there to gather more mandrake infants when the need arises.


The mandrake root is one of the oldest and best-documented creatures of faerie lore. The root has been used for hundreds of years for its medicinal qualities; a draught made from mandrake root has sedative and pain-killing qualities due to the poison found in the plants. Large doses of the root cause manic, demented behavior and eventually death. Below is the entry I've made in my journal on the subject:


This particular grove was a treasure trove of the various sub-species of the root. I managed to collect a sample of Mandragora Offininarum, Mandragora Autumnalis, the very rare and nearly extinct Mandragora Turcumonica, and even a sample of Podophyllum Petaltum- or the American Mandrake root. I took care to only harvest plants in their infancy as mandrakes are known to cry out when pulled from the earth and an adult plant has a scream fatal to humans. Ear plugs worked just fine against the small ones I collected. 

Here is a display showing the different roots and information about the mandrake root in classical folklore:

These four specimens are looking for a caring home with someone who appreciates magical oddities and raising unconventional pets. Made from polymer clay with a strong wire armature underneath, these cuties have different leaves depending on the sub-species of mandragora they belong to.

Some more pictures of my find:




Visit Lee's Menagerie shop to take home one of these sweet baby roots today!

I'm headed off into the deeper parts of the jungle this weekend, slightly nervous about the type of creature I may discover within.

Wish me luck,
Stefani Lee






1 comment: