Monday, November 4, 2013

The Beginning of a Journey

Happy November Everyone!

Welcome to a brand new month. Personally I love November, what with the weather getting cold and our first smatterings of rain. November is kind of a magical transition between fall and winter (my favorite season).

Since it is a brand spanking new month, I've decided to embark upon a new creative project- something I've been wanting to do for a long time. Bear with me, the explanation may take a few paragraphs...

Ever since I was a child I've had a fantastical island chain living inside my mind. Modeled at first (loosely) on the Galapagos Islands, an area I used to sit and watch endless nature documentaries about during ages 7-14, the islands in my head grew and morphed as I learned more about cryptozoology and the many, many creatures that inhabit faerie islands. In later years my own islands' design has seen influence from the Isle of Avalon of King Arthur fame, and the well-known fairyland Isles of Fortune. My islands and their inhabitants are constantly growing and shifting, changing slightly in shape and content throughout the years as any good faerie island should.

Incidentally, it is from these expansive isles all my creatures and curious magical items come. These islands are home to all my flora and fauna; they are the platform my fantastical beasts live and grow within and I, like any good naturalist, visit there often to observe and learn from the wildlife, only occasionally brining back specimens to this side of the worlds.

Coming back to my current project: for a long time I've wanted to map out the island chain and research the many strange beings found there. So here I go, into the uncharted wilderness of my own dreamland, hoping to bring back to you-all a plethora of information and plenty of unique specimens pulled directly out of my own private ecosystem.

Here's my map of the first island, I've called it Metanoia, meaning: the journey of changing one's mind, heart, self, or way of life. I plan on filling in locations and other interesting non-geographical points as I adventure across the island. The Red X marks where I'll be starting.

As well as fleshing out my map, I also want to keep a naturalist journal, an informational guide if you will, elaborating on the different lifeforms I encounter on this journey, filled with sketches, observations, and background information on each creature I encounter.


Entries to this blog will be posted at the same rate as I am able to acquire specimens for study.
Naturally the specimens will be for sale at Lee's Menagerie as that is the whole purpose of the shop, to sell the items brought back from my journeys!


Wish me luck!
Stefani Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment